Buteyko Breathing Method
Restore healthy breathing habits and Reduce the discomfort of:
• Snoring and Sleep Apnea
What do these diseases have in common?
— They are all associated with poor breathing habits.
Well over 100,000 people worldwide have been helped by the Buteyko Breathing Method, and in clinical trials in Russia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and Ireland it has been shown to be highly effective for a wide variety of chronic breathing-related conditions. It is not yet widely-known in the United States.
This online course proven exercises, help with life-style changes, and coaching to improve breathing-related issues, reduce the need for medication, and provide a path to great health today and tomorrow.
Live workshops are also held on a monthly schedule in Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
Individual counseling is also available.
Frequently Asked Questions
We provide comprehensive Buteyko Breathing Training and Support
- Comprehensive training and ongoing support for the development of new breathing habits to reverse chronic overbreathing (hyperventilation) that leads to a wide variety of breathing-related disease.
- Developing new habits takes time. It cannot be done in a few lessons or even over a weekend course. We leverage the power of the web and the smartphone to provide comprehensive support and encouragement for the duration of your training.
Beyond Buteyko - courses covering Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep and General Health
- Our primary course is the Buteyko breathing method. This is because without correct breathing we believe it's a not productive to try to make improvements in other areas of health. Once you have mastered the basics of correct breathing, and can achieve a control pause of 30 or above, we suggest that you move on to the additional courses provided: Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep and General Health.
- The courses work synergistically together to achieve our goal of total health and healthy aging. We will work with you to optimize a program to produce results.
The Buteyko Method
- The Buteyko Breathing Method consists of a series of exercises designed to change your breathing habits. The method uses nasal breathing, breath control, and breath-holding exercises to treat a wide range of health conditions, often when other more conventional treatments have proved ineffective.
- It is a multidisciplinary approach drawing on elements of biochemistry, biomechanics, biodynamics and psychology to address a wide variety of breathing-related health issues, which can be summed up as follows:
- The More Air We Breath - The Less Oxygen is Available to the Body and Brain
- The Less Air We Breath - The More Oxygen is Available to the Body and Brain
- The Method is designed to permanently change your breathing habits:
- Breathe through the nose at all times, never through the mouth
- Breathe into the abdominal area, not into the upper chest
- Breathe just enough air to satisfy your biological requirements
- Breathe at the optimal rate: 6-10 breaths per minute
This training can help you in many ways...
- It will provide a better quality of life, by improving your breathing, your sleep, and your ability to exercise
- It can reduce your need for asthma and allergy medications
- Together with the other life-style changes, it will naturally reduce high blood pressure and high blood sugar
- It can provide a boost to your athletic performance, if you're an aging athlete
- It can greatly improve your mood and outlook on life
Improvement in many chronic conditions...
Diseases of Affluence include mostly chronic non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and other physical health conditions for which personal lifestyles and societal conditions associated with economic development are believed to be an important risk factor — such as type 2 diabetes, asthma, coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease, obesity, hypertension, cancer, alcoholism, gout, and some types of allergy.
Many of these diseases of affluence are related to chronic hyperventilation, in which a person breathes more air than the body requires. This depletes the carbon dioxide in the lungs then the blood stream, which in turn makes less oxygen available to the muscles, organs and brain (the Bohr Effect, a physiological phenomenon first described in 1904 by the Danish physiologist Christian Bohr).
By retraining breathing habits, Buteyko Breathing Training reduces this chronic hyperventilation, resulting in improvements to a wide variety of seemingly unrelated conditions such as:
- allergies/hay fever
- chronic bronchitis
- panic attacks
- chronic fatigue
- snoring/sleep apnea
- nasal polyps
- and even depression.
Structured online lessons, coaching and workshops
The Four Pillars of the Buteyko-Plus™ Method
- Accountability - We provide online tools where you can enter the results of your exercises and your morning breath hold time, which is a primary measure of your progress. These are reviewed regularly by our staff who will provide appropriate feedback.
- Encouragement - When and if you feel stuck, help is always available. We will reach out to you if it looks like you are in trouble, or you can phone or email for help, attend an online workshop, or even book a one-on-one online counselling session.
- Coaching - We start with a 1-hour Zoom consultation. You can purchase additional half-hour individual or family Zoom sessions, or 1-1/2 hour live workshops in Whitehouse Station, NJ, if you live in the area.
- Systems - The Buteyko Plus™ Program has been specifically designed to teach Buteyko effectively over the Internet. This has involved implementing a Learning Management System (LMS) for managing the lessons, and various other systems for monitoring progress, collecting, presenting and reviewing data.
The website is fully responsive, equally convenient on the desktop computer, the tablet and smart phone.
Buteyko Breathing reduces the total amount of air that you breathe in, and by emphasizing nasal breathing, ensures that the air passes through the very effective filters in the nasal passages. Together, these will greatly reduce the number of pathogens that reach your bronchial tubes and lungs, reducing your chance of infection.
In addition, the nitric oxide produced in the nasal passages while breathing through the nose, kills bacteria and viruses and is a natural bronchodilator which can make mask-wearing more tolerable. It can even make breathing easier and make you more comfortable, if you do contract the disease. For more details see the blogpost.
Buteyko Breathing Course
It can take several months until Buteyko Breathing becomes an established habit.
This is a complete six-week Buteyko Breathing course for total health, which includes video and text lessons, and ongoing support and coaching for a period of three months.
*15-day money-back guarantee.
Individual and Family Counseling Package
Some people have special requirements, require more individual support.
The package, in addition to 5 one-hour individual or family counseling sessions, includes access to the complete Buteyko Breathing Course (worth $150) with video and text lessons, and ongoing support and coaching for a period of three months.
*15-day money-back guarantee.
This provides full access to the site after the three-month course duration, including future courses* in exercise, nutrition, sleep and general health practices. These will enable you to achieve the best health possible, and maintain it into old age.